So, in light of all the heavy posts lately, I thought I would switch things up and do something different. You know how on Facebook people will post “5 things you didn’t know about me?” Or if you are a trash magazine reader like I used to be when we had more disposable income, those lists the celebrities write about “21 things you didn’t know about me?” Well I love those things. I know some people think they are obnoxious, but I’m not one of them. If you are, its time to stop reading. Because …..
Here are 22 things you may or may not know about me (because its my blog and I can do as many as I want to)
1. I am not a huge holiday fan. I mean, I don’t hate them either, but I just don’t get too excited over them. EXCEPT FOR HALLOWEEN. I LOVE HALLOWEEN. I have no idea why. I’ve never really enjoyed dressing up since I was 8, but as an adult I suddenly want to buy EVERYTHING Halloween related. I excitedly decorate on October 1st every year, and listen to the Halloween station on Pandora, and spend my free time searching Pinterest for Halloween party ideas. I am not a party planner in any way, but I have big dreams of throwing Halloween parties in the future. It makes me feel all giddy inside.
2. I cannot understand how many ways a restaurant can mess up a Cosmo. The answer is, infinity ways.
3. I will pick salty food over sweet food 95% of the time. And I LOVE CARBS. I could never, ever, ever go on the Atkins diet. My favorite foods are pizza, pasta, pickles, potatoes, and chicken sandwiches from fast food restaurants.
4. I CANNOT STAND touching dirty dishes. I will search for any clean corner of a dish to touch when I am putting them in the dishwasher. If I by chance get water that has food particles on my hand, it makes me literally recoil.
5. Bees. My level of terror is beyond phobia level. A couple weeks ago Will and I were eating on a restaurant patio with friends when I heard a buzzing by my ear. It was cold outside and I had just seen a few flies around so I swatted the buzz away without looking. My good friend sitting across from me looked at me for a solid 10 seconds without saying anything.
Me: Was that a bee?
Me: I had no idea.
For a second in my life I was able to understand what it felt like to be a normal human being who leisurely swatted away bees without running like a mad woman knocking down chairs and putting my life in jeopardy while screaming at the top of my lungs and swatting imaginary creatures within any vicinity of my body.
6. When I was little, I wanted to be an actress or a writer when I grew up. By the time I was in high school I had decided I would be a lawyer. Then in college, I took a Psych class and fell in love and decided I wanted to become a clinical psychologist. Although I am not doing any of those things exactly, my current career involves counseling, and close interaction with lawyers and the legal system. And of course I still love to write. As for acting, I was filmed for a promo video last week where I was asked to “act” as if I was counseling someone, and lets just say, I think I made the right choice bypassing my career as an academy award winner. Because it was terrible.
7. I never realized some people really don’t like public recognition until I worked at a company that made us fill out our preferences on being recognized for our achievements. Up until then I thought people like my mom and husband were just being modest. Because HELLO?? What is better than being pointed out in front of everyone for being awesome?? The answer is, nothing.
8. I am basically a stereotypical Montana guys worst nightmare. I hate hiking, and have never been camping, skiing, or snowboarding. Also I hate beer. However, I do weirdly enjoy fishing and boating (BUT NO WATER SPORTS) at a reasonable and safe speed, so I should get a few bonus points there. I think this is why I was chosen to be the wife of a California born man 🙂
9. Speaking of #8, when at an interview day for a graduate program, I was one of only two Montanans in a room of probably 40 people. A girl came up to me and asked me what part of California I was from. When I told her I was from Montana she looked shocked and said “Really! You look very Southern Californian. I should know, because I’m from Northern California and Southern California girls have a very specific look.” My response was “Thank you? I think?” I’m still not sure what that meant.
10. I wish with all my might that I could learn to love beer, wine, and salads. I feel my life would get exponentially easier with those three additions.
11. I order every type of sandwich in the world with just pickles only. No mayo, no lettuce or veggies, JUST MEAT, BREAD, AND PICKLES ONLY.
12. We got rid of cable when Gia was 3 months old. I still DVR all my Bravo shows (every single Real Housewives of any city, and anything with Jeff Lewis) at my mom’s house because I. Just. Can’t. Let. Go.
13. Between the ages of approximately five and eight, I would pray religiously that I would break some kind of bone. A girl in my class fell off the monkey bars and broke her wrist and everyone got to sign her pink cast and I hated her for it. Then someone in my class broke her foot which meant she got CRUTCHES and the jealousy I felt was overwhelming. Retrospectively I want to give a big shout out to the Universe/God for knowing that sometimes what you want the most in life is FUCKING STUPID.
14. I have never broken a bone. 🙂
15. When Will and I were in birthing class, the instructor asked the men to rate their partner’s pain tolerance and Will rated mine LOW. Every couple months I like to remind him that I birthed his 9 lb daughter completely unmedicated and only took one capsule of Tylenol afterwards. I will likely do this every so often for the entire rest of our lives.
16. My favorite car I have ever owned was a 1990-something white Geo Prizm. It was my first car and I worked my ass off serving frozen yogurt and blended coffees at minimum wage to pay for it.
17. If you want to see me ugly cry, watch me read the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Or watch Marley & Me. You will see a form of crying that will not make me attractive.
18. I will not watch scary movies. Period. And I can’t watch anything involving murder, violence, mystery, or the creepy, dark filming style of shows like House of Cards within several hours of bedtime. Will is forced into a before bed ritual of reruns of The Office, How I Met Your Mother (minus the entire season where Marshall’s dad dies), Parks & Rec, Kath & Kim, etc.
19. I wish I enjoyed watching/participating in/caring about sports. I do not.
20. I have been gifted/cursed with an extremely acute sense of smell. I can walk into our bedroom and tell immediately if Will had a handful of chips there an hour earlier. I was told by a doctor I know that I should become a wine smeller (??? You guys … I can’t remember the exact word… because I know nothing about wine … see # 10) because my sense of smell was so accurate. This gift has not been kind to me in the years of baby spit up and dirty diapers.
21. When I’m alone in my car, or with Gia, I am almost always singing. When I get to stop lights, I turn my music down and stop because I’m afraid people will look over and judge me for singing alone or make fun of me mentally for my love of Taylor Swift on the off chance they can hear it through my rolled up windows. I get really embarrassed when we are in a quiet parking lot and Will is blasting gangsta rap with his windows down. He doesn’t care 🙂
22. I DIE for LUSH bath bombs, going to Target alone, reading Glennon Melton’s work on Momastery, psychology research, and blogging. Even though it is totally uncool, I am obsessed with Facebook, reality TV, Ugg boots, and Taylor Swift.
That’s a little (or too much? #22: I am also a chronic oversharer) about me! What’s one thing I don’t know about you?